Monday, February 23, 2015

Peterson Toscano presentation on climate change

A few months ago I heard activist Peterson Toscano present his piece Transfigurations: Transgressing Gender in the Bible. Toscano uses a combination of third-person teaching and first-person enacted drama to help us engage with Scripture in a new and unexpected way.  He makes us see fruitful connections between the ancient text and the present-day experience of people who do not conform to the traditional gender binary.

At the event, he mentioned that his latest performance piece would focus on climate change.  I just heard about a presentation of this piece (free and open to all) at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA, on Friday March 13th.   Details may be found here.  I don't know whether I will be able to attend, but I think that it should be an excellent and thought-provoking evening.

Photo credit: Peterson Toscano via Wikimedia Commons.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterson_Toscano

1 comment:

Peterson Toscano said...

Hey thanks for posting this. I do hope you can come. If not, you may want to check out my weekly Climate Stew show on iTunes, Stitcher, or over at www.climatestew.com

Also, WITF radio just did an interview with me that gives a good overview of the seemingly unrelated topics I cover. http://www.witf.org/arts-culture/2015/02/quirky-queer-quaker.php