Thursday, February 16, 2012

This Weeks Find in the Blogosphere

John Baez is a mathematical physicist at the University of California, Riverside.  He has been blogging since before there were blogs: his regular posting "This Week's Finds in Mathematical Physics" appeared on Usenet since 1993.  Many mathematicians have learned about n-categories or octonions or loop spaces or whatever from "This Week's Finds".

I just learned that Baez recently announced a change of direction.  "This Week's Finds" has morphed into a new blog, Azimuth.  Introducing it, Baez writes

Hello!  This is John Baez‘s new blog.
I’m a mathematical physicist.  I teach at U.C. Riverside.  I’m about to make a big career shift.   I’ve been working on n-categories and fundamental physics, but now I want to work on more practical things, too.
Why?  I keep realizing more and more that our little planet is in deep trouble! The deep secrets of math and physics are endlessly engrossing — but they can wait, and other things can’t.
Since July 2010 I’ve been working at the Centre for Quantum Technologies, which is located in Singapore.  I’ll stay there until the end of July 2012.   This will be a good time to change gears and try something new.
I plan to talk about many things on this blog: from math to physics to earth science and biology, computer science and the technologies of today and tomorrow – but in general, centered around the theme of what scientists can do to help save a planet in crisis.
That expresses very clearly something that I have also been feeling.

No comments: